Allergy to Cow’s Milk

Cow’s milk is one of the most frequent food allergens. Milk allergy is the immune system‘s response to one or more of the proteins found in cow’s milk. There are many protein allergens in cow’s milk that cause allergic reactions. Casein and whey are the two main components. The curd that forms when milk is left to sour, is called casein. The watery part which is left after the curd is removed is called whey.

Casein accounts for 80% of the protein in milk and is the most important allergen found in cheese. The harder the cheese, the more casein it contains. Whey accounts for the other 20% of milk protein. It consists of two main allergenic proteins – alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactaglobulin.

Apart from lactose intolerance, many children, as well as adults, have a sensitivity, intolerance, or outright allergy to cow’s milk. Children may outgrow the allergy, yet continue to manifest symptoms associated with sensitivity or intolerance.

 


Signs, symptoms & indicators of Allergy to Cow's Milk

Symptoms - Allergy  

Moderate sneezing or frequent sneezing / attacks

Allergy to cow’s milk proteins has been defined as any adverse reaction mediated by immunological mechanisms to one or several of these proteins. Reactions to cow’s milk have been classified according on their onset as immediate (< 45 min) or delayed-type (from 2 hours to days). In the challenge test, 10 hours after milk intake the patient presented serous rhinorrea, sneezing and nasalblockade.” [J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol, 1998 Jul, 8: p.4]



Symptoms - Metabolic  

Frequent colds/flus

“Symptoms of milk-protein allergy include cough, choking, gasping, nose colds, asthma, sneezing attacks…” [Annals of Allergy, 1951; 9]



Symptoms - Respiratory  

Recent/chronic productive cough

Respiratory symptoms of milk-protein allergy can include coughing, choking, gasping, nose colds, asthma and sneezing attacks. [Annals of Allergy, 1951; p.9]



 

Air hunger




Conditions that suggest Allergy to Cow's Milk

Digestion  

Lactose Intolerance

One study found that of 24 milk-allergic individuals studied, half were found to be lactose intolerant.



Metabolic  


Respiratory  

Asthma

“Symptoms of milk-protein allergy include cough, choking, gasping, nose colds, asthma, sneezing attacks…” [Annals of Allergy, 1951; 9]



Skin-Hair-Nails  


Symptoms - Head - Nose  

Nasal congestion

Mucous production is a common problem associated with the use of dairy products.



Uro-Genital  



Recommendations for Allergy to Cow's Milk

Animal-based  

Probiotics / Fermented Foods

Oral administration of probiotic bacteria has been shown to stabilize intestinal integrity, promote local IgA production and reduce intestinal inflammation in atopic individuals with cow’s-milk allergy.



Diet  


Key

Weak or unproven link
Strong or generally accepted link
Proven definite or direct link
Likely to help
Highly recommended

Glossary

Allergen

A substance that is capable of producing an allergic response in the body.

Allergy

Hypersensitivity caused by exposure to a particular antigen (allergen), resulting in an increased reactivity to that antigen on subsequent exposure, sometimes with harmful immunologic consequences.

Immune System

A complex that protects the body from disease organisms and other foreign bodies. The system includes the humoral immune response and the cell-mediated response. The immune system also protects the body from invasion by making local barriers and inflammation.

Protein

Compounds composed of hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen present in the body and in foods that form complex combinations of amino acids. Protein is essential for life and is used for growth and repair. Foods that supply the body with protein include animal products, grains, legumes, and vegetables. Proteins from animal sources contain the essential amino acids. Proteins are changed to amino acids in the body.

Lactose Intolerance

A condition caused by a lack of an enzyme called lactase, which, in turn, causes the body to be unable to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk products. Common symptoms, which begin about 30 minutes to two hours after consuming foods or beverages containing lactose, may include: nausea, cramps, bloating, gas and/or diarrhea. The severity of symptoms varies depending on the amount of lactose consumed and the amount that an individual can tolerate.

Asthma

A lung disorder marked by attacks of breathing difficulty, wheezing, coughing, and thick mucus coming from the lungs. The episodes may be triggered by breathing foreign substances (allergens) or pollutants, infection, vigorous exercise, or emotional stress.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *